Ginger has so many health benefits including nausea/ morning sickness relief, reducing muscle pain, treating indigestion, relieving menstrual pain…the list is endless. What better way to enjoy this spice than to infuse it in a cake? Try out this recipe for a delectable treat. One serving won’t be enough!
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup molasses
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line your cake tin with parchment paper.
- Peel, slice and chop the ginger into small pieces. You can also choose to grate instead for finer pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the oil, molasses and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix the the black pepper, flour, cloves and cinnamon.
- Heat the water to boiling point, then add the baking soda. Pour the water into the molasses mixture.
- Add the ginger and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time, stirring with each addition.
- Pour in the eggs and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cake tin and bake for one hour.
- To test if the cake is done, insert a toothpick at the centre. It should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for around half an hour.
- Remove it from the tin by gently running a knife on the side.
- Turn the cake onto a plate, remove the parchment paper and indulge!
- Another test for cake readiness is to press the top slightly. If it springs back up, it’s ready.
- In case the top of the cake browns when the inside isn’t ready, cover it with foil and continue baking.
- If you prefer your cake extra spicy, use more ginger.